Church of Our Lady of Purification (Built 1583)
The island of Karanja, lying close to the mainland to the east of Bombay harbour, came into the possession of the Portuguese around the year 1534 and the Franciscan Fathers settled to do their work.
During this period several churches were built on the island of Karnaja. Amoung these churches was the Church of Our Lady of Assumption, built by the Franciscans before 1585. This Church was probably a forerunner of the present Church of Our Lady of Purification.
During the Maratha invasion of 1739 most of the Christians fled to the neighbouring Bombay and Salsette Islands. The remaining few attending services in the ruins of the church of Our Lady of Purification.
The Church of Our Lady of Purification was rebuilt only one hundred and thirteen years later in 1852 on the ruins of the old Church of Our Lady of Assumption (Hull 1:10).
Courtesy: East Indian Calendar 2006
Go to: HOMEPAGE